There can be 101 things that are seemingly important to bring everywhere along, just in case you need it. Every girl is unique, what I think is important might be unnecessary for others.
Big bags can be trendy, but it is not exactly practical in a foreign country. Branded flashy bags are one of the worst things to flaunt since this is what thieves will spot first. Functional bags with simple designs are the best!
No, I am not going to list camera and map being important here. Because it is something majority will bring anyway. This list is recommended for girly girls who want to travel smart and stay safe at a foreign country.
1) No girly girl goes out without carrying a basic make-up kit. Make sure you have a proper mirror – there can be more than 1 use for it.
2) Always carry a proper spray-on deodorant/perfume/sun block/insect repellent/ointment in your bag. Can use it for yourself or dodgy attacker.
3) Petroleum jelly (Vaseline lip balm) can have more than 10 uses when travelling. Like anything, do not overuse it.
4) Carry a reputable built-in filter bottle everywhere. It works for non-potable water (e.g. from the taps at public toilets) but not undrinkable type.
5) Good to know the emergency numbers, accommodation and any other useful contacts. Always ensure phone has battery and bring portable charger.
6) Bring your house keys along. Swiss Army knife is considered weapon and not allowed in some places. Use functional key chains (e.g. karabiner) here.
7) Bring mechanical pencil (minimum 2B lead darkness) and blank A4 paper. Good for doodling anything casual to writing something important.
8) Carry a light foldable umbrella with silver surface on the outer side. Good to fend off UV rays, rain, and dodgy stranger. Now available in metal casing!
9) Have a small pouch to store your passport and money (zip locked!). Personally, it is good to top with 7 scented panty liners.
10) It is good to carry a handbag with sling. I like to sling it on and my hands resting on the handles. Hope to deter thieves by making it harder to steal.
Safety is one of the most important aspects in our life. It is a basic human need and must be fulfilled before achieving anything else. Just Google and you can find a long list of recommendations on safe and smart travel.
The ideal total weight of a handbag (+ laptop) is supposed to be no more than 15% of your body weight. For travelling, keep the girly girl handbag to the range of 5% of your body weight will be more appropriate.